Film Financing Townhall: 3 Indie Financiers, 3 Finance Lawyers & 1 Top Screenwriter
by Institute for International Film Financing
(Los Angeles, CA)
Institute for International Film Financing
February 22, 2010, Los Angeles. Our event features highly topical talks by WORLD-CLASS EXPERTS: 1) "BRIDGE FINANCING FOR INDIES: Get Your Project Funded Now" -- by JEFF GEOFFRAY, prolific indie financier; Co-Founder & CFO at Blue Rider Entertainment, one of most successful independent film financing & production companies with ca. 120 credited movies & TV projects; helped finance $687M+ in total budgets; worked with James Cameron, Schwarzenegger & Stallone; Producer on Werner Herzog's "Rescue Dawn" (Christian Bale); Exec. Producer on "Around the World in 80 Days" (Jackie Chan), "Surveillance" (Michael Ironside), "Then She Found Me" (Helen Hunt); etc.
2) "MAKING MOVIE PROJECTS WORK: Advice From a Living Legal Legend" -- by ERIC WEISSMANN, ESQ., veteran entertainment attorney with decades of financing experience; Founder & Sr. Partner at one of industry's most prestigious law firms, whose clients shaped blockbusters like "Matrix" sequels, "Bourne Identity," "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" & indie hits like "Crash," "Bend It Like Beckham," "Swingers"; reps financiers, producers, writers, directors & actors, incl. Michael Cimino ("Deer Hunter") & Gene Wilder; fmr. Head of Worldwide Business Affairs at Warner Bros.; etc.
3) "PRIVATE EQUITY FOR FILM: Secrets Unraveled" -- by CHUCK BUSH, master private film financier; Founder, President & CEO at film finance firm Great Road Capital; raised $100M+ for film & TV projects with Great Road; fmr. CFO at BET Founder & ex-Chairman Robert Johnson's film company Our Stories Films; fmr. Sr. VP of Finance & Business Development at film financing & production companies Union Patriot Capital & Patriot Pictures; fmr. Ass't VP in Entertainment Industries Group at JPMorgan; managed fund placements of $1.5B for Dreamworks & $2.5B for MGM; etc.
4) "WRITING SCRIPTS THAT GET FUNDED & MADE: Useful Tips & General Thoughts" -- by ROGER TOWNE, acclaimed screenwriter whose very first feature received 4 Oscar nominations & catapulted him into elite of Hollywood scribes; Writer & Exec. Producer of 1984 classic "The Natural" (Robert Redford, Kim Basinger); also penned 2003 hit "The Recruit" (Al Pacino & Colin Farrell); currently works on "The Loop" (Rachel Nichols) & "Street of Dreams" (Robert De Niro); brother of legendary filmmaker Robert Towne ("Chinatown," "Mission: Impossible I & II," "The Firm"); etc.
5) "MAKE THE MOST OF EVERY DEAL: Paving the Way to Financing Success" -- by STEVE TSONEFF, ESQ., rising-star film finance attorney representing major studios & banks; Partner at leading law firm Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher; repped 20th Century Fox in slate financing with New York hedge fund Dune Capital, Universal in $150M sale of Rogue Pictures to Relativity, New Line/Warner Bros. in $350M slate financing with Royal Bank of Scotland, Paramount & MGM in various co-financings; named by Variety to Top 10 Up & Coming Entertainment Industry Dealmakers; etc.
6) "GREENLIGHTING THE HORROR GENRE: Does Your Picture Make the Cut?" -- by BETSY DAVIS, seasoned Hollywood financial expert; CFO at After Dark Films, prominent financing & distribution entity focused on quality horror movies; instrumental in closing 3-year, multi-picture deal with Lionsgate; fmr. Sr. VP & CFO at indie financing, sales & marketing company August Entertainment; worked on Tarantino's "True Romance" (Pitt, Walken, Hopper), "Beyond a Reasonable Doubt" (Michael Douglas), "Captivity" (Elisha Cuthbert); fmr. Sr. Manager at Price Waterhouse; etc.
7) "PRESALES & NEGATIVE PICKUPS: The Real Story on Fully Funding Films" -- by PHIL STRINA, ESQ., experienced sales agent & film finance lawyer; Sr. VP of Business Affairs at financing, production & sales company Inferno; fmr. Counsel in Business & Legal Affairs at New Line, responsible for acquisitions, co-productions & negative pickups; worked on "Monster" (Charlize Theron), "Hachiko: A Dog's Story" (Richard Gere), "Friday the 13th" (Jared Padalecki), "The Women" (Meg Ryan), "Love in the Time of Cholera" (Javier Bardem), "The Experiment" (Adrien Brody); etc.
Wait, that's not all! Check the website for further details.
IIFF's friends at Clarity Partners are hosting our get-together:
Film Financing Townhall Meeting for Filmmakers & Financiers
Monday, February 22, 2010
7:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Clarity Screening Room
100 N Crescent Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
Very limited capacity. Reserve your DISCOUNTED SEATS now at -
Back to Film Finance Class Seminar
Return to Film Education Financing Seminars.
Are you ready to finance your film?
Do you think like an investor and speak their language?
Get a huge advantage over other Filmmakers Using Our Tools:
Back to Film Proposals and Financing Home
Find Film Investors
Film Investors do exist! Find out where they are and exactly what they want to hear from you.
Free Newsletter - Movie Cents
Movie Cents brings you information on Film Financing news, Film Making Tips, Monthly Specials, Film Contests and Prizes, Film Investors and our Independent Film of the Month. Subscribe free and receive a Business Plan Checklist as our gift.
Free Film Downloads and Samples
Many free film tools and samples exist across the internet and here is a great starter list for the Independent Filmmaker.
Indie Film Distributors
Indie film distributors look for one thing only when they evaluate Indie Films - "Will this film be profitable for us?"
How to Make a Movie
Our 15 minute program provides you the basics on How to Make a Movie. We've condensed the nuts and bolts for you and provided some of the best material on how to make your first film.
Independent Film Discussion Forum
Welcome to the Independent Film Discussion Forum for your Film Making questions, Movie Making Tips, Film Investors, Film Grants, Equipment Discussions, Financing Questions and Film Services.
Online Film School
Online Film School is one of the easiest and least expensive ways to learn the basics of film making. As a film maker, you have numerous education options. Make sure to get the Online Film School facts.
Independent Film Proposal and Financing Manual
Learn how to write a business plan, the definition of a business plan and creative ways to finance your film. Pair this Manual with our Financial Template and Business Plan Template for the ultimate Movie Making package.
Film Financial Projections Template
Show film investors why they should fund your movie with our Financial Template. Analyze your film, movie production costs and add financials directly into your Business Plan for Independent Film.
Business Plan Template for Independent Film
Our Business Plan Template is fully formatted with eight chapters and twenty three pages of sample text. Easily use this business plan example and customize it to your project.
The huge advantage to film grants is you do not have to reimburse the funds, unlike investors, who require their money back, plus a return on their investment.
Showcase Your Free Movie Trailer
Join our Independent Film Showcase and develop an online presence for your film in a few minutes - for FREE!!! Show the world your Independent Film and impress potential investors with more than just your logline.
Recommended Film Financing and Business Plan Guides
See FilmProposals top picks for Business Plan Books for Film. Film Funding and Financing, Low Budget, Business Plans and Budgets. See the best books on the market today, written by leading experts.
Best Independent Film Websites
FilmProposals top picks for the best Film Websites and Resources to help you find Investors for your Independent Movie, Film Financing Companies and Independent Film Funding.
We want YOUR opinion of FilmProposals. What else would like to see? What did you find useful? About what topics would you like to see more information?