Film Financing Townhall: 3 Indie Financiers, 3 Finance Lawyers & 1 Top Screenwriter
by Institute for International Film Financing
(Los Angeles, CA)
Institute for International Film Financing
February 22, 2010, Los Angeles. Our event features highly topical talks by WORLD-CLASS EXPERTS: 1) "BRIDGE FINANCING FOR INDIES: Get Your Project Funded Now" -- by JEFF GEOFFRAY, prolific indie financier; Co-Founder & CFO at Blue Rider Entertainment, one of most successful independent film financing & production companies with ca. 120 credited movies & TV projects; helped finance $687M+ in total budgets; worked with James Cameron, Schwarzenegger & Stallone; Producer on Werner Herzog's "Rescue Dawn" (Christian Bale); Exec. Producer on "Around the World in 80 Days" (Jackie Chan), "Surveillance" (Michael Ironside), "Then She Found Me" (Helen Hunt); etc.
2) "MAKING MOVIE PROJECTS WORK: Advice From a Living Legal Legend" -- by ERIC WEISSMANN, ESQ., veteran entertainment attorney with decades of financing experience; Founder & Sr. Partner at one of industry's most prestigious law firms, whose clients shaped blockbusters like "Matrix" sequels, "Bourne Identity," "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" & indie hits like "Crash," "Bend It Like Beckham," "Swingers"; reps financiers, producers, writers, directors & actors, incl. Michael Cimino ("Deer Hunter") & Gene Wilder; fmr. Head of Worldwide Business Affairs at Warner Bros.; etc.
3) "PRIVATE EQUITY FOR FILM: Secrets Unraveled" -- by CHUCK BUSH, master private film financier; Founder, President & CEO at film finance firm Great Road Capital; raised $100M+ for film & TV projects with Great Road; fmr. CFO at BET Founder & ex-Chairman Robert Johnson's film company Our Stories Films; fmr. Sr. VP of Finance & Business Development at film financing & production companies Union Patriot Capital & Patriot Pictures; fmr. Ass't VP in Entertainment Industries Group at JPMorgan; managed fund placements of $1.5B for Dreamworks & $2.5B for MGM; etc.
4) "WRITING SCRIPTS THAT GET FUNDED & MADE: Useful Tips & General Thoughts" -- by ROGER TOWNE, acclaimed screenwriter whose very first feature received 4 Oscar nominations & catapulted him into elite of Hollywood scribes; Writer & Exec. Producer of 1984 classic "The Natural" (Robert Redford, Kim Basinger); also penned 2003 hit "The Recruit" (Al Pacino & Colin Farrell); currently works on "The Loop" (Rachel Nichols) & "Street of Dreams" (Robert De Niro); brother of legendary filmmaker Robert Towne ("Chinatown," "Mission: Impossible I & II," "The Firm"); etc.
5) "MAKE THE MOST OF EVERY DEAL: Paving the Way to Financing Success" -- by STEVE TSONEFF, ESQ., rising-star film finance attorney representing major studios & banks; Partner at leading law firm Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher; repped 20th Century Fox in slate financing with New York hedge fund Dune Capital, Universal in $150M sale of Rogue Pictures to Relativity, New Line/Warner Bros. in $350M slate financing with Royal Bank of Scotland, Paramount & MGM in various co-financings; named by Variety to Top 10 Up & Coming Entertainment Industry Dealmakers; etc.
6) "GREENLIGHTING THE HORROR GENRE: Does Your Picture Make the Cut?" -- by BETSY DAVIS, seasoned Hollywood financial expert; CFO at After Dark Films, prominent financing & distribution entity focused on quality horror movies; instrumental in closing 3-year, multi-picture deal with Lionsgate; fmr. Sr. VP & CFO at indie financing, sales & marketing company August Entertainment; worked on Tarantino's "True Romance" (Pitt, Walken, Hopper), "Beyond a Reasonable Doubt" (Michael Douglas), "Captivity" (Elisha Cuthbert); fmr. Sr. Manager at Price Waterhouse; etc.
7) "PRESALES & NEGATIVE PICKUPS: The Real Story on Fully Funding Films" -- by PHIL STRINA, ESQ., experienced sales agent & film finance lawyer; Sr. VP of Business Affairs at financing, production & sales company Inferno; fmr. Counsel in Business & Legal Affairs at New Line, responsible for acquisitions, co-productions & negative pickups; worked on "Monster" (Charlize Theron), "Hachiko: A Dog's Story" (Richard Gere), "Friday the 13th" (Jared Padalecki), "The Women" (Meg Ryan), "Love in the Time of Cholera" (Javier Bardem), "The Experiment" (Adrien Brody); etc.
Wait, that's not all! Check the website for further details.
IIFF's friends at Clarity Partners are hosting our get-together:
Film Financing Townhall Meeting for Filmmakers & Financiers
Monday, February 22, 2010
7:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Clarity Screening Room
100 N Crescent Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
Very limited capacity. Reserve your DISCOUNTED SEATS now at -
Back to Film Finance Class Seminar