Indie film distributors look for one thing only when they evaluate paying for your Indie Films. "Will this film be profitable for us?"
To evaluate this, they look at your film, the size of the target audience, how your film compares to previously successful similar films, and in the end, it comes down to whether they think they can sucessfully get your film screened in a theater or digitally.
For a better understanding of how the film money cycle is broken down, from production through end user distribution, please see the FilmProposals and Financial Manual.
For an amazing inside look into What Indie Distributors want, this is a must-read, We Spoke to Dozens of Distributors; This is What They Want in a Film. These are FilmProposals key take aways from this excellent article:
- Most distribution companies do not accept unsolicited submissions. They must come in through an agent, manager, lawyer, foreign sales company, or pre-established business acquaintence.
- Built in fan bases (social media) are important, as is attached talent that draws said audience, but it's quality over quantity. Engagement is key as it demonstrates a motivated audience. Ideally, the cast and their fans are equally engaged.
We HIGHLY recommend you do not contact any Indie Film Distributors until you are absolutely sure you know:
- How to work with Independent Film Distributors
- How to tell if a distributor is legitimate
- Your package is 100% ready for Indie Film Distributors
Everything You Need to Know About Independent Film Distribution
Global film sales consultant David Zannoni discusses the the ins and outs of Independent Film Distribution as part of his ongoing vlog series with Stage 32.
Related Reading: Film Distribution
List of Indie Film Distributors
- Bleecker Street
- Breaking Glass Pictures
- CBS Films
- Cohen Media Group
- Entertainment One
- Freestyle Digital Media
- Good Deed Entertainment
- Gravitas Ventures
- Greenwich Entertainment
- Gunpowder and Sky
- IFC Films
- Indie Rights
- Juno Films
- Monterey Media
- Music Box Films
- The Orchard
- Passion River
- Roadside Attractions
- Strand Releasing
Back to Top of
How to Make a Movie Mini Course
FilmProposals Best Sellers - 2021 Financing Toolkits & Bundles
FilmProposals Tools and Templates
- Film Financing Bundles
- Film Financial Projections Template
- Film Business Plan Template
- Documentary Business Plan Template
- Film Financing and Investor Manual
- Film Budget Template
- Indie Film Pitch Deck
- Film PPM (Private Placement Memorandum)
- Film Investor Agreement Outline
- Film Investor Tip Sheet
- FREE Business Plan E-Course