Knowing some film industry statistics goes a long way when having discussions around money, especially with film investors who are "outside" the industry. Being able to confidently discuss industry trends, such as recent distribution deals, streaming/vod audiences, key studio players and more, show you have educated yourself about your chosen profession. When asking anyone for money, showing you are a thoughtful expert in your field immediately gives your potential investors confidence in you as a filmmaker.
PwC's annual Global Entertainment and Media Outlook
PricewaterhouseCoopers' (PwC) film industry statistics, provided in their annual Global Entertainment and Media Outlook, offer a consistent, comprehensive online source of global analysis for consumer/end-user and advertising spending.
With like-for-like, five-year historical and forecast data across 13 industry segments in 48 countries, the Outlook makes it easy to compare and contrast regional growth rates and consumer and advertising spend.
PwC's annual Global Entertainment and Media Outlook is often considered the industry standard for Entertainment and Media film industry statistics, and referenced by all major media news outlets, both online and in print. They usually offer a free download on their site and it's worth you taking some time to know the forecasts for Cinema or TV/Home Video and OTT over the next 4 years.
Independent Movie Business Plan Package
All these statistics and forecasts are included in our FilmProposals Film Business Plan Template. We scour all reputable industry sources, studies, forecasts and charts to select the best and most current independent film industry information and put them right in our templates and tools.
The 2022-2026 PwC Entertainment and Media Outlook projects:
- The streaming over-the-top market is large and growing. Despite recent setbacks, the market is expected to increase at an 11% CAGR over the next five years.
- In the next chapter of the streaming wars, free ad-supported TV (FAST) will likely be a key battlefield. The FAST market is expected to grow at a 25% CAGR from 2021 to 2023, driven by demand for low-cost content.
- In 2021, the E&M (Entertainment & Media) industry bounced back from the contraction of 2020 to resume its growth path, with revenues rising a strong 10.4%. We forecast that by 2026, the global E&M industry will approach US$3tn in revenues.
The film industry statistics report covers global filmed entertainment growth by region (North America, EMEA - Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific and Latin America) and highlights the standout changes in market growth per year by region.
Using PwC's well-respected film industry statistics are sure to gain you credibility with Film Investors. They are perfect numbers to use in conversation and on paper to show potential film investors you know and understand the film industry.
Film Industry statistics Research by PwC, 2022-2026
Recent Film Acquisition Deals
Streaming providers, especially Netflix, generally guard their acquisition prices tightly, however, here are some recently publicized notable deals. If you are a first time filmmaker, or don't have an A-List star in your film, that's OK. You just need to let your investors know that while you in no way expect to earn the same dollar amounts upon selling your film, you are highlighting the earnings potential of various films.
- Fair Play @ $20M to Netflix – An unexpected promotion at a cutthroat hedge fund pushes a young couple's relationship to the brink, threatening to unravel far more than their recent engagement.
- Malcolm & Marie @ $30M to Netflix – a romantic drama starring John David Washington and Zendaya.
- Bruised @ $20M to Netflix - Halle Berry’s directorial debut stars her portraying a comeback MMA fighter.
- CODA @ $25M to Apple - a coming-of-age drama about high school senior Ruby, the only person in her deaf family capable of hearing
- The Trial of The Chicago 7 @ $56M to Netflix - the story of 7 people on trial stemming from various charges surrounding the uprising at the 1968 DNC in Chicago (written/produced by Aaron Sorkin)
- Dhamaka @ $18M to Netflix - Indian actor Kartik Aaryan’s movie
- Cha Cha Real Smooth @ $15M to Apple - A man who works as a bar mitzvah party host strikes up a unique friendship with a young woman and her teenage daughter.
European Film Market (EFM) Deals
- The Pale Blue Eye @ $55M (a record) to Netflix - not even in production at time of purchase! Based on a best-selling book of the same name, Christian Bale stars as a detective investing a series of murders in the 1830s at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
- The Ice Road @ $18M to Netflix - "After a remote diamond mine collapses in the far northern regions of Canada, an ice driver (Liam Neeson) leads an impossible rescue mission over a frozen ocean."
- Operation Mincemeat @ $15M for North America and Latin America rights to Netflix - World War II movie starring Colin Firth
More Film Business Plan Industry Statistics
- Sundance: Why the Aggressive Indie-Film Market Reflects Real Promise for the Future
- Sundance: Indie Film Business Starts to Hum With Good Films, More Distributors | TheWrap.com
- Independent Film Market Rebounds at Sundance Film Festival
- Indie Film Lives, Thrives, Blossoms & Blooms!!
Attract Investors with Your Plan
Film Investor Guide
- Film Investor Ultimate Guide (For Filmmakers)
- Film Investor Primer (For Investors)
- 10 Things You MUST Do To Attract Film Investors
- Preparing for Film Investors
- Film Investor Business Plan Tips
- How to Find Film Investors
- Pitching to Film Investors
- Working With Film Investors
- Film Investor Tools & Templates
FilmProposals Best Sellers - 2023 Financing Toolkits & Bundles
NEW!!! Level up your Comparable Films Analysis using 20 Comparable Films. With our PLUS Bundles, you work directly with the expert analysts at Nash Info Services to select your ideal 20 comparable films from their full list of 20,000+ films. You get all the same reports as our standard sales projections PLUS expert advice on choosing your Comparable Films and an exponentially larger selection of films from which to choose.
FilmProposals Tools and Templates
- Film Financing Bundles
- Film Financial Projections Template
- Film Business Plan Template
- Documentary Business Plan Template
- Film Financing and Investor Manual
- Film Budget Template
- Indie Film Pitch Deck
- Film Investor Agreement Outline
- Film Investor Tip Sheet
- Filmmaker Legal Pack
- Indie Film Database
- FREE Business Plan E-Course